1. Create an Inviting Entryway – When your front door opens straight into the room without a designated foyer, you can build the illusion of one with an area rug. A chevron wool rug is a good example of creating a welcoming entrance and makes a nice contrast to the hardwood. Use a bold color area rug to build on the look by adding a small piece of furniture and some art.
2. Make Your Living Room a Focal Point – While big rooms and tall spaces are the inviting aspect of an open-concept home, they also bring a challenge for organizing a cozy space for hanging out. A beautiful living space can be undefined until you place a patterned rug for an inviting and cozier conversation area. With high ceilings and big windows, the rug provides an anchor to the room and draws the eye down from the big spaces, making the room feel friendly and cozy.
3. Define the Dining Area – Just because your home lacks a traditional dining room, doesn’t mean you can’t have one. In this contemporary living space, a large rug creates a dining area. Without walls to create tangible zones, a rug is needed to organize the space into useful areas. When choosing an area rug for under your table and chairs, make sure the rug is large enough for the chairs to scoot back from the table without falling off the edge of the rug.
4. Outline High Traffic Areas – Larger spaces often mean there are multiple entrances and exits to both the outdoors and other rooms. Dare to place area rugs on top of your already installed carpets for protection. This indoor-outdoor rug not only is visually appealing, but it can handle the traffic from French doors. More importantly, it creates a traffic pattern.
5. Outside Area Rugs – Large patios can also be transformed into defined, open-air living spaces. A durable outdoor rug can carve out a great outdoor living room from a space without definite borders. A rug makes any seating area and specially in front of a fireplace an inviting creative and cozy family space for more family sharing.
With walls coming down in remodels and new homes reflecting open-concept design trends, rugs provide comfort and beauty while organizing and maximizing space. Perk up your decor by adding area rugs. Take a look at online stores that have affordable lovely carpets on sale, check out online decorating ideas and social media, get a feel for what look you would like to achieve but at the same time think out of the box and dare to be different. Your family and friends will love for sure what you’ve chosen. Living on a budget? Find out how much you need to spend and plan a monthly amount to set aside and a target date. You will be able to change your decor by painting an accent wall, add a few decoration vases with colorful fruits or flowers, use colorful owls and the area rugs you’ve chosen.